The most valuable reject

I’m no stranger to rejections.

Rejections are something that I must go through to grow.

There are rejections coming from personal relations where the first cut is always the deepest. Rejections start during childhood – when my only friend got a new best friend or when my group realizes they don’t need me anymore. It could also be the time when my playmates decide to kick me out of the game. As I grow, rejections evolve into something more. It hides in the face of my ultimate crush finally getting his first girlfriend. It manifests in the relationships I almost had. Rejection is also when, no matter how hard I try to patch things up with someone, things just don’t work as they are supposed to.

 And then, there’s rejection coming from my professional experience. I’ve probably had countless interviews that I failed to pass. For what reason? I have no idea.

I’ve done the good and the bad when it comes to interviews. Good is when I scan and browse the company’s website. Read about what they do, if not what makes them special. I do my research, take notes, and get the context clues for when the interview deepens, all those little details come in handy.

 I have done the bad. Scan the website nonchalantly. Expect nothing more because, from the get-go, my efforts were nothing compared to my competitors. As time passes by, I learned when to expect rejection and when to keep my hopes up. Sadly, sometimes, they just don’t seem to add up. It hurts most when I have given 100% and end up not getting that promotion, not even a step closer to the proverbial ladder of professional success.

 In hindsight, rejection offers awareness. I realize how fate is being played out, it’s unpredictable. I am aware that things may not turn out the way I expected them to. When I confidently say, it’s in the bag, a few seconds after, it really is not. I realize how little details affect the gravity of the outcome. I can determine that in my pursuits, although I have given 100%, it may only amount to 5% in other people’s eyes. Do I have a hold on that? The answer would be a flat no.

 As time goes by, I have learned how rejection offers the opportunity to try again. When things don’t go out as planned, I won’t mope around the idea of not being selected, for the whole day. (Or okay, I may mope for an hour and be done with it) Rejection means I have attempted something and this something may move my mark one step closer to the goal. The mere attempt is already growth because along with it are the virtues that I mustered to make that single attempt happen. It also teaches me perseverance. Do you know that feeling when your shoes are new? You get blisters but the more you wear them, the blisters disappear. You get used to them. It’s tricky to say that I would get used to rejection because that’s not the goal. The goal is always to stand up after every rejection.

 I remembered a dear friend of mine back when I had a really hard time. I asked her, “what made you this strong?”. She replied, “You know, I had so many family issues to deal with when I was younger. The problems I have now do not necessarily compare!” The pitfalls were what our storylines sound more compelling. With rejection, one rejection would not kill you. With plenty of rejections, you either decide to give up or continue and make those your ticket to the long-shot ride to success.

With rejection comes acceptance. This has got to be the most difficult part of the rejection. When you assess what went wrong, what you lack, or what they failed to see in you. With acceptance comes humility that we may lack something or is not the person they were necessarily looking for. With my rejections, I learned to accept that while I may not be enough for them, somewhere, somehow, I may be more than enough for someone else.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend