Live passionately

"Live passionately." 

That's the mantra from Glen Powell’s movie Hitman. It got me thinking—do I live passionately? Have I ever? Will I? Just how passionate are we talking here? 

Let me set the scene: a few months ago, I found myself solo in New York City. With time to kill and an itch to scratch, what better place to indulge than the city that never sleeps? 

In NYC, I met a roommate who was instantly likable. She was funny, laid-back, and had this go-getter vibe. She was super open about her dating life and even invited me to tag along. I was surprised—who does that? She encouraged me to try dating apps, given New York's diversity and all. I politely said that I would. 

 But me? Yeah, well. Never. 

Later, I caught up with a friend who lives in New York. After eight years and a marriage later, she suggested I try the apps too. I smiled and again politely agreed to give it a try. 

At that moment, I kind of thought Wait… Was this a sign? All these random suggestions seemed a bit much. Enamored by the persistence, that night, I set up a dating profile. I thought, "It’s New York, what’s the harm?" 

I swiped right a few times that evening. It was a casual, fun distraction. I used a temporary mobile number, so I didn’t share it; people gave me theirs instead. One guy mentioned he’d be in Vancouver later. I barely thought about it. Long story short, I left New York without any meetups, my skeptical side winning out. I thought, okay I gave it a try, Now what? Clearly, this isn’t for a skeptic like me. I deleted the app and moved on. 

Months passed… 

Out of the blue, I get an iMessage from the guy who’s now in Vancouver and wants to grab coffee. I was stunned. Should I go or not? 

Live passionately. 

I recalled Gary’s words from Hitman: "Now, the one thing I know for certain, is your reality will change over time in ways you cannot even imagine, and I urge you to be open for this transformation. “ With that in mind, I thought, “To hell with it, let’s do this!” 

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

Thanksgiving weekend

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center