the vow

Level up.

I recently went home for a week-long vacation. Again, I found a lot of changes around me. Why, Davao has become crowded, smaller and probably hotter!

Notwithstanding the schedule of meeting friends, I found time to be alone, wandering around the mall as my thoughts drowned me. (Just like the old days) So I went to look for clothes that I fancy, perhaps I can buy quite a few pieces, as plain and simple as I’d like my shirt to be, I was surprised it costs as much as 15 dollars. Seriously?!

So I told Pop, I don’t think the equilibrium of the salary and the goods here is fair. How are malls supposed to survive? People don’t loan just to buy stuffs, right? (or atleast not me),  then Pop told me, “that’s because you’re so kuripot. Everything looks expensive to you” and I was like “oh well… haha. It’s not easy to earn money” then Pop told me, “now you know!”

Seriously, if I was to earn around 20K in a month, I still have to pay taxes, monthly bills, groceries, obligatory tuition fees, etc; I’d be able to save less than 1k a month. Poor me!
What happens if I bum around? Nothing happens. I’d just be at home facebooking all day with mama’s mouth in the background. (That, I can never imagine myself!)

Then my thoughts took me to my decision to bid goodbye to Singapore. Am I ready to the max? Can I leave my nakasanayang lifestyle over what, the old life? Am I thinking in progress?
Then I came up with an idea… I guess I have to push my luck someplace else.

Davao will always be home for me. Regardless of the flood and the early bedtime, Davao is my comfort. It will never change. But I guess, at this point in time, I can’t imagine being home and doing nothing. Just not yet.

My city has far evolved into a metropolis. Not in full bloom but it is getting there. When I go to a mall before, I’d always find myself nodding and smiling at someone I know. Now, when I go to malls, there are just too many people. Strange and unfamiliar. Even in the confines of our village, it feels weird to see kids who’ve grown up and you forgot who they were ‘cause all you can remember are those kids who run and catch each other from the yesteryears.

People’s taste have levelled up. Luxury items are now found in Davao’s malls. Manila and Cebu-based restaurants now come in a handy. International stores go in line. It became an ordinary sight.

I feel new in an old place. Two years have changed me from feeling familiar to feeling like a tourist. Sounds airy right? But really. It makes me feel as though I don’t know much about the place anymore. There were shops that have gone closed. (I was excited pa naman to come back and just chill there)

And yes, my friends and probably batch mates, are not in Davao anymore. Most of us are in abroad and quite a few have moved to other regions. Those friends who stayed, they’re aiming to leave Davao too. While they are planning to go out, I am planning to move back, how uncool is that?!


Anyway, I left “the vow” to Davao. Someday, I’d get to fulfill it, I do hope and pray. It’s time for me to level up too! :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend