HK and what it represents


All those prayers about winning the HK DISNEYLAND PRIZE in a raffle at CENTRAL WAREHOUSE CLUB when I was 9 come to me like a thunderbolt.  

WHEN I THINK OF HONGKONG

 
I get this familiar tinge of excitement.
I feel the giddiness that envelops me when my sister screamed, “we’re booked!”

I was 21 then. It was my first overseas trip.
It was a trip that I financed fully after being employed right after graduation.
Yes, it was a reward to self, you see.

I can vividly remember that night when we spent some time trying to access CEBU PACIFIC AIR website, as they offered a PESO SALE. We tried several times before being confirmed and it was the sweetest, most glorifying moment ever!

I mean, I used to hear it when artistas say “oh, nagkita kami sa hong kong” or when a classmate says “yes, sa HK Disneyland kami mag ki-Christmas”. Wow! I mean, how I wish I have the power to do that too.

Arriving in HONGKONG was every bit of a dream come true.
Those pictures give justice to the bright neon signs scattered all over downtown Hongkong.
The movies intricately described Hong Kong, the way it actually is.

And hey, DISNEYLAND? My childhood dream at 9?
I just couldn’t contain my disbelief that I was able to actually step into the bricked floors of Disneyland, meet Mickey and Minnie and had a grand time riding all that I can inside the theme park and yes, I literally cried while watching the DISNEYLAND fireworks. Haha


To this day, whenever I think of HONGKONG, I still feel a bit sentimental.

I am in awe at the thought that my childhood dream had come true and so much more came after it.
It was that very thought that made me realize how possible it is to achieve goals. I’ve always thought that my dreams were so much bigger than who I actually was.

I wasn’t born rich, My family never really had the luxury to travel when I was young because NEEDS do come first—ALWAYS. And traveling involves EXTRA money after the NEEDS. Raffle contests were my only possible means, then. Haha  
BUT understanding what we are JUST capable of, gives me the acceptance of the status we’re currently at and it was okay, but at the same time, at the back of my mind, I yearn to see more… in my own fabulous time.

Who would’ve thought that seeing HONG KONG became instrumental to all my travels that came after.
The thought occurred to me as though,  because I have travelled to HONG KONG, all the other places wouldn’t be that hard anymore.

Visiting HONG KONG was the gateway for me not to rush into responsibilities like having a kid or being married because admit it, it will be harder to get away when you have someone to look after to.
 
When I travel to HONG KONG these days, I still feel ecstasy.
I love Hong Kong and what it represents to my life.




Although, I never really won the raffle at 9 and I grew disappointed from joining all the raffle contests that came after… Life has a funny way of surprising you. I just asked for a trip to HK Disneyland and I won the raffle to trips of a few more! Dreams do come true! J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend