exaggerations

I scrolled Facebook and saw how happy my friends’ posts are.

I’ve seen their husband, kids, and the little things they do as a family.

 

I’m not going to lie. Seeing those, I began to feel a familiar ache deep within me. I wondered whether I will have the same fate. I wondered whether I can be as happy as I perceive them to be with all the settling down and blossoming family life.

 

I closed my Facebook app and switched to Instagram. I saw the same thing. I saw smiling faces of celebrity couples lounging at home for quarantine. I saw newly engaged Demi Lovato. I also saw the other Demi, cheek padded as she just had a wisdom tooth removal surgery and Tim Tebow was capturing that moment. I even saw my close friend, having the time of her life with her new beau.

 

In that moment, I began to feel uneasy.

I know, we need to be happy for someone else. I always inject that in mind. But I cannot help myself from feeling uncomfortable. To put it bluntly, I felt a tinge of bitterness in my mouth.

 

What is wrong with me?

 

Seeking to find a neutral mindset I opened Google and searched for inspiring words.

 

“What’s yours will always come your way.”

 

Yes, right! I vehemently agreed.

 

“Be happy about someone’s success. Everyone has their own time.”

 

I pondered more heavily on that.

 

It is so easy to count the blessings of others and compare myself to them. I sometimes forget that there are perhaps few others who would give everything they’ve got to exchange with mine.

 

While I am anxiously comparing my life, I forget that I have so many things that I have that others lack. I may have 300 grapes, 200 apples and 0 strawberries, and I focused so much on the strawberries while I have 500 other fruits with me!

 

I realized that oftentimes, my biggest enemy lies in my mind. I feel negative emotions because I let my mind to it. The anxiety towards everything that I think I lack is easily elevated to make me think that I am empty.

 

It is in these exaggerations that makes everything extra heavy.

 

With these thoughts in mind, I opened my socmed apps again.

I felt lighter. I feel that we only show what we want to show so it is but right to see what we only want to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend