Say hello to your Uber driver

YAYYYYYY!

This is so surreal. I have been tensed since Sunday. The tension was severe that whenever I think about today, my hands and feet were cold in two seconds. No kidding.

I know I am lacking in so many aspects. First, I learned later in life. Second, I barely drive. Third, this fear. And so, I’ve been making illustrations of traffic lights for me to remember.

Come Monday, I was completely nervous. I reached out to friends, talked to coworkers, and asked for luck and importantly, prayers. At night, I did not want to burden myself with last-minute studying, so I just made myself busy doing my art. When I lay down in bed, I prayed continuously that I would be guided with wisdom. As I slept, I was going through simulations in my head. As a result, I barely slept.

Come D-day, I was surprised to wake up calm. Calmer than ever. I made coffee and sat for a little while. I quickly scanned through my notes and proceeded to freshen up.  I did an hour of practice before the exam and my instructor, Ruby, told me that I drove well. My parking was amazing, and my mistakes were barely noticeable. I did not want to hope too much so I just smiled and said, “Hopefully, I’d maintain it with the examiner”.

I was instructed to park in Bay 5. I had to go out of the car and do some paperwork. I went to the washroom and said a prayer or two about staying calm and remembering everything I learned from the past lessons. I head back to the car and did a quick pep talk with myself. “You cannot change what is bound to happen” echoed in my head. “Indeed, this is the point of no return!”, I muttered.

And then the examiner introduced himself. He asked. “Are you ready?” I replied, “Yes” with a big smile on my face. This is where “fake it ‘til you make it” comes in to save the day, I thought. We did a prep test on signals and brakes. Then he got in and sat next to me. He asked for parking brakes to which I answered somewhat scripted. Blame it on my instructor, who always does this stuff! Then the examiner told me that we can go. I breathe in and breathe out, this is it!

As we approached the sidewalk, I did my full stop and he motioned to turn left. We veered onto the small streets. He asked me to turn right and turn left on various roads. The thing is, I am more confident in driving small streets because I always drove onto shortcuts and alleys back in the Philippines with tricycles, baskets, trash bins, and what-have-you parked on one or either side. I did my signals, and mirrors, and exaggerated my shoulder checks. Trust me, exaggerating shoulder checks is the norm for exams!

I don’t drive on highways back home, so it takes a long time to be comfortable driving into one here. Then he motioned for me to drive into the highway. When he said, to turn left on the stop, surprisingly, I did not feel the panic that I usually feel. I even had the chance to glance at the clouds, with rays of sunshine trying to break into them. The rays are much like me, in this situation, I contemplated. I am trying to break a mold trying my best to pass an exam where my instructor told me I had a 50-50 chance. As I maneuvered, everything just kind of made sense. I can clearly proceed on my left without one bit of hesitation.

Then the examiner told me to turn left to the small street and there I kind of felt, “Okay, I may have this in the bag already!” Few more turns and I was surprised to be heading back to the ICBC office. He told me to park the car in the last slot. I did. He then told me, “Congratulations, you passed!” I smiled and thanked him. I can’t believe, I passed. Me? With a 50-50 chance, passed?

At this point, I am elated. I am very grateful for this privilege. I never knew I had it in me. When I came back to the office, my coworker greeted me, “How was it?” I told him, "Say hello to your new driver!" We both laughed. LOL

Comments

hope u could drive back home to me. "wishful thinking..

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend