dyakarta

JAKARTA

While other tourists are checking outThailand, there we are in a place far-fetched from being a tourist destination. Chos. Not really naman, hindi lang talaga sikat ang Jakarta for being a city to go to. Or so I thought.

So I told my boss that I’ll be leaving forJakarta on CNY and his question: “whyJakarta?”
Well, I told him, I just want to see whatJakarta has to offer me and my group of friends. Then I met with a friend over coffee and she learned that I’ll be going there and she told me, “ingat ka, pinapatay mga intsik dun”.

Gosh! Having heard these comments made me think of backing out. I can’t die ‘cause I’m too young, much less, I can’t die just because I look Chinese.

Anyway, so go pa rin ang mga bebot. Sometimes remarks are just words entwined to form a doubt as to known plans, yan tuloy, it creates panic, fear and uneasiness but I hold on to my forever mantra, “how will I know if I won’t try?” so then, lumapag nga sa paliparang pandaigdig ng Dyajarta,Indonesia.

Jakarta is a big city. It’s like Manila. We booked a hotel near a shopping centre and the moment we arrived, we strode off to have a sumptuous lunch. Yun pala, yung complex is like palengke, so many street foods and pabentang kung anu-ano. It was challenging. Amidst the heat and the number of people in the alley, we found a decent place to eat… A&W.

On a high noon, we looked around and later decided to rest back sa hotel so we have enough energy for the night at the central plaza. Yung central plaza is located In the heart of the City. Eto yung, mala- Makati. The buildings are high-rise, the hotels are renowned but my gosh, from point A to point B, it takes a lot of time… TRAFFIC!

What I dislike, heat, it’s very hot inJakarta. Thank God, di naman nagkakamigraine or else, the trip has been a hell for me. I dislike their currency, andaming zeroes, ang hirap mag compute and of course, when you take a cab, no such thing as exact fare. Imagine, if the meter hits 12600 and you give the driver 13000, no change na yun. And I thought sa drivers lang yun applicable (just like in manila) but when I was in the airport, I bought a bottle of water, I gave her about 4000, e dapat may sukli akong 500. wala talaga. Super uso lang yung keep the change even if you didn’t say it.

And worst of all, only few of them can speak English. Mala-charade at twister lang, lahat ata ng veins ko nagagamit sa tuwing makikipag usap ako. Directions are not so easy to fathom, I felt like I was talking greek and yet he keeps on answering me in russian.  Now tell me, paano ba sasabihin or ipaapaunderstand na you want chicken in breast part?

But wag ka, The best thing about Jakarta is its people. They’re pretty much like Filipinos. Yun bang, yumuyuko, timid and coy. There’s so much to in common to our natives and theirs. Setting aside, ang pagtapon ng basura sa canals at pagvandalize sa mga poste, di nga, andaming similarities.

And perhaps, best of all, I like the fact na kahit alam mong di kayo nagkakaintindihan in language, someone giving you directions is still trying to explain to you how you can go to your desired place. And no matter how you looked uninterested in talking, a cab driver will initiate a talk. It makes you feel warm. It makes you feel as though you aren’t dealing with robots. What I loved is how I was able to be attached to the reality than merely facebooking and making my presence known virtually.

Amidst the locality and the roughness in view of jakarta, I loved it. I love how diverse it is and how on both ends, Jakarta was able to consolidate their culture to the modernity of the world.


Jakarta done! Bangkok, you’re next! (I wish!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend