what's not to love about NY?

What if I move in to New York?

And my mind goes overdrive. You see, when you’re someone unattached, you begin to consider random seemingly wild ideas.
“What’s there to lose anyway?” , says my right brain.

“What if?” , agrees the left.

While the two are in agreement, I wanted to check how it goes beyond my two eyes…

So I spent a day observing how the system works, how the people seep through the crowd and emerging later to subways. I spent my day, trying to connect the dots, mentally computing salaries in lieu to expenses. I hung out to places where most people have their usual coffee/cigarette/lunch breaks.

My initial observation made me conclude that Singapore and New York is so alike in so many ways. People always come and go, there’s always this rush and to be able to survive, you need to have the stamina and the energy to go through heights.

One thing that made me love New York is the freedom. The diversity is just too strong yet, there is harmony. I love that people are free to pursue what they like without prejudice or feeling guilty about it.

Honestly though, I was amused to have read various campaigns, from the ads in subway walls about HIV to a catchy 1-800-DIVORCE. In most communities, it is a very sensitive topic. In a more CONSERVATIVE setup, these ads are two-bladed. But seeing it there is like the most natural thing to advertise.

I was shocked to see women in nothing but body paints parading in times square. In the middle of the crowd. In a chilly weather. In encouraging smiles for you to have a pic with them. Just WOW. Who does that?

I love the parks. I feel wonderful just by sitting there and having the time of my life. I’d imagine, on a busy day at work and I need to get my mind off work, I’d go down and breathe in the air of greens. And I’d be ready to strike again.

I love the friendly people of New York. I am amused at random conversations from strangers asking me how I’m doing. 

I know it sounds cheesy but on a day that sucks, wouldn’t it be nice to vent out frustrations, as if you’re venting it out in instalment to various people for you to be emptied and left only with the good vibe? Sometimes, no matter how routinely it may sound, when you buy a latte, and someone asks you something, you begin to stop looking at your phone and be reminded how humans work by sending a smile or having a physical chitchat.

Finally, I love the VIBE. There’s something about New York that inspires you to be better. There’s something about it that makes you proud to be there. 

It’s so casual yet busy. It’s random and noisy and sometimes, intoxicating but you’d feel energized and young.

It seem true to most, and I’m officially in, I love New York.

If given a chance, why not NOT MOVE? :P


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend