bisdak

I am proud to be.

Truth is… I never really knew my words were too deep a bisaya for Davao. I’d often get my friends who’d laugh at me for the terms I use which they think are way too bisaya.

For generation Y in Davao, which includes perhaps the 80s kids and onwards, Bisaya is more of the TAGBIS (tagalog-bisaya). Phrases like: “magbili tayo nyan ba!” or “maglagot gyud ako sa teacher namin ba” are very common.

Although growing up, most of my classmates are pure bisaya (not a hint of tagalog unless we’d make pasosyal at school) it was a transition when I went to college. I’ve got classmates who came from other regions who speak tagalog, I’ve got friends who simply are tag-bis at home. Of course, my ears would go extra attentive when I hear, “magpunta tayo sa mall” or “lain ka man uy, di ka man nagsaba!” seriously! I had a fun time listening to all these blabbering but as time goes by, parang naanad na talaga ako ba! Blame it on the household!

Our homes and the people around us influence our speech, the way we talk, we react. It’s normal.

I’d speak the term “ningutngot” “niung-ong” “nisirit” “hunos” “tungol” amongst the few and my friends would say “what?” in chorus. I don’t know, I’ve encountered so many bisaya words in my lifetime. Not that I’ve lived in Cebu but I heard so many stories, read so many notes and even witnessed my sister’s visayan local tv drama at one point (ANG SILINGAN, abscbn regional, wayback 1999?)  All these influenced my bisaya speech… perhaps I am 95% fluent than most of my friends, Why, it’s my mother tongue! (or mother’s tongue? Literally!)

But among the influences that I’ve encountered early on, the one thing that stood out is the RADIO!

While most of the kids during my primary grade would succumb to watching tv all day, I’ve no choice but to listen to the radio. And not just any radio, it’s a transistor for fudge sake! The ones used by grandmothers for their daily dose of AM broadcast. Basta RADYO,  Bombo! 

You see, it’s not that I love listening to the radio (maybe if it’s ole funky music) but I am FORCED to listen because my mom would wage war if the radio will be switched off. She’s a fan of no other than DRA AND ABOGADA LOURDES LIBRES ROSARUSO. (whew! Such a long title and name for a person) She’s, yeah, a doctor and a lawyer in one. Her program usually would start with an introduction of the letter sender, re-enactment (errr rehearing) of the problem then lastly, her advice. Problems would of course be pivoting around the orbit of health and legalities. She was my mom’s idol and believe me when I tell you that… I received a lot of spanking because I switched the channel to an FM radio while this program is airing! 

But before this program, May mga drama pa, perhaps 2 to 3 and she’d listen to it all. Words like, “Lavinia, gihigugma kayo tika, hinaut nga di gayud ako nimu pakyasun” and lavinia would say “Ben, aduna nay nanag iya aning akong kasingkasing. Dako akong pagmahay nga karun lang tika nakaila.” Then Ben would say “kung mao, mas maayo pa nga mawagtang nalang ko aning kalibutana!... muambak ko.. ingun ni ini… pooooooooooom!” Lavinia would say “Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen, pasayloa ko! huhuhu”

Believe me; I’ve listened to dozens and dozens all through out the years, from teban to raminee ang batang bronsi. I’ve resisted listening and sulking at my room, but what to do, the only sense that cannot be covered is the sense of hearing, unless there are barriers of space. What’s the point of resisting when you can hear it anyway? So there, I slowly learned to enjoy the dynamics of these dramas.

And the more I listen to it, the more words I’ve absorbed. The more I listen, the wider my imagination became. It wouldn’t be effective if you won’t be able to visualize a scenario. For example, the hero Raminee would go to the hill then shout “ako si raminee and batang bronzi” then he will transform to a superhero. I can imagine a hill because of the echo… raminee eee eee batang bronzeee eee eee. 

One time, I was telling my friends about raminee and they were like, “what? Where did you get that?” they died laughing when I told them, he’s a superhero sa radyo then I said, oh he was famous, his name is RANISI! Then the cab driver joined in and said “si Raminee to uy!” see? It’s just not me. 

My sister and I have grandest times when we try to re-enact a drama. She’d say, “misubra na gayud ka kabakakon, sagpaon tika ingun niini..paaak!” and I’d say “agay! Nasakitan ko, namula ang akong mga aping dili ko musugot nga di gayud ako makabalos, maong sipaon tika, ingun niini.. baaaaaaaaaaag!” ahaahha you know, for the heck of it. Our childhood may be a lot weirder than most, but we’re cool that way. Haha

Needless to say, We are bisaya because we’ve been exposed to so many visayan materials. Yes, I can write a Filipino article in a proper fashion but I still find it hard to speak as fluent as possible. While my friends and people around me may sometimes laugh too hard to offend, it’s okay. My bisaya is actually a reminder of a very colourful childhood, one that I am proud of and one that I’ll have so many fun memories to speak of.


I am BISDAK! And I am proud of it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend