Thanksgiving weekend

It’s the thanksgiving weekend! I can't believe I am now part of this celebration being strategically planted here.

I love this season. It incites gratefulness.

In a world where people become highly entitled to anything, we look deeper within ourselves and realize that it’s not the world’s obligation to give us anything. In fact, and to put it bluntly, the world does not owe us anything. And with this comes the appreciation that you were chosen, you were blessed, you were fortunate to be given the opportunity to receive something. Maybe you did something right or maybe you got lucky? Either way, the fact that not everyone gets the same favor, nudges you to remain grounded and grateful.

A few months ago, I met with old friends. I was happy to share my journey here in Canada. As the conversation got deeper, I was asked, “Are you not planning to move to the US?”, I was literally speechless. I was unable to answer. I smiled.

It’s not the question that is hard to answer, it is the realization that my friends can now ask me about moving to the US, so casually.

America? Me???

It was like asking, “Are you not planning to go get groceries?” It was so unpremeditated and so… humbling if you ask me. America seemed to be like a distant dream. I have known someone who had his heart surgery there when he was young and when he told us that, I was amazed at how they could afford it! I have friends whose families have settled in the US, and I know for sure, that I am nothing like them financially speaking.

I am from a working class. My parents teamed up to make sacrifices for us. Growing up, finances were laid out in the open. My mom was quick to explain why they could not buy me new jeans or cool shoes on my whim. And because my parents were open, I understood that the new jeans would have to wait and most probably would be by my sock on Christmas day!

In my mind, there’s a stark contrast between those who COULD settle in America and those who are just like me. They COULD because they HAVE. I look back at the start of it all, from when I joined raffle contests hoping to win a ticket to Hong Kong, just because, I knew my parents could never afford it at that time. And then there’s my first plane ride to Manila courtesy of my sister, I was in college then. My first international trip was in Hong Kong because… Disneyland! It was truly a dream come true. When I look back, I’m just in awe. I had literally nothing, and yet… having the opportunity to move across the globe was somehow possible.

So, the idea of moving to America… I could not even fathom the feeling. I am just amazed at the idea that in somebody’s mind, I am someone who COULD now consider moving to the U.S. 

Does that mean I HAVE?

I don’t know. All I have is the guts. I don’t even have much passion for things. To put it simply, I’m just a hard worker. I just continued digging hoping I’d stumble on oil, if not gold.

But truly, I can’t believe where life has brought me. I always knew I was going to places but never really considered the far-away ones.

And this Thanksgiving season, this is just one of the many notions that make me teary-eyed.

I want to be reminded of the opportunities that were given to me and the prospect of also giving others a chance at life. I want to be reminded of the people who made it possible for me to traverse this path, some riding along with me. I want to be reminded of the likely good things that I have done and will be doing more, to come this far and perhaps, go farther.

Most importantly, I want to be reminded that nothing is set in stone, and with a grateful heart, I continue to move forward and forge new paths wherever life takes me. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center