Outgrowing emotional attachment

"We've been born together. We've experienced the pain and the laughter. We've always been best of friends. It's you who knows me best."- an old doctor told his privates this same line

I couldn't help but laugh while being told this. The wife told us about how she found her husband doctor talking with his privates on the bed one cold morning. My gosh! Was it due to old age? Or was it... I mean, Nah! It sounds really funny but these instances do happen. Forgive me for rather being restrictive about this, blame it to the fact that I am single! Period.

Sometimes, no matter how we try to keep things burning, it's just not happening. Things come to a point of real change. The things you admire most before, soon you'll grow tired of it. I hope this limits to THINGS and not to PERSONS.

But maybe, it does. I have this cousin whom I really am fond of when I was younger. In fact, he was the little brother that I never really had. He was the extension of my boy toys. I mean, the extension of the recipients of my boy toys. From my pellet guns to fantastic porsche matchbox collection, I have made a will and testament that it's gonna be his the moment I join the worms.

He was my pet. Surely, he got perks I don't share with my other cousins. You can say, he is indeed lucky. But some things just change. Don't get me wrong it's just that, there have been a lot of things gone wrong.

This is not to say that my love was conditional. Sometimes, no matter how we want to keep things the way it used to be, it isn't just revived. Although, the memories we had were more than enough to last me a lifetime really.

I had my first skateboard when I was, I think 11 or 12. It has a spiderman image on it and it was really cool. I called their house and invited him for a spin. I realized he was just too little to ride in it. I told him to wait and stay put as I grab something from the warehouse and later,There he was! Riding my skateboard with a huge helmet on! Sure thing, I had to endure the dust and dirt searching for it.

Then, there was also this instance when V and I came playing by the yard and we decided to climb the guava tree. He came. He was looking up above for me and I saw how he wanted to climb so I told V that I'm gonna come down to get him. V disagreed since he was too small and it was very dangerous for him to join us in our improvised mini tree house. But I insisted. Later to be disturbed by the sermon given to me by my dear mother. I had to endure the belt and the walis ting-ting later on for putting him in danger.

And who would forget, I have snapped him on the econo bed on a ship bringing us to Cebu when I was Senior High. Literally. As I was about to sleep to a different bunk bed beside him, I thought that as the big waves might come humping on the ship, my poor 7 yr old cousin be swept away from the bed and be eaten alive by the waves, the thought scared me. So what I did was unpack my bag, got my extra blanket and tied it on both ends of his bed. My grandma later came to check up on us and was amazed at how I really took the idea of securing my kid cousin.

Funny but out of so many things I did for him, it's always me getting the black and the bruise. But that's what I meant with care. Having to sacrifice for someone dear.

So what went wrong? Well, I cannot give a name to. I think that the bonding we had when we were younger was different as it was on a regular basis. When I reached college, I had a whole new perspective. I was creating an image for myself. I was torn between being responsible and being the playful former-kiddo that I am. I wanted to set an example.

And being the idealistic that I am, I wanted to show them what it's like to be accountable and mindful of my actions. And by being concerned about this, I lose the charisma I once have with him and the rest. Now, they're taking me as a serious, strict, high and mighty older cousin.

It's not as if I am that bothered. But truly, They should know I am different. I seem to be serious because I do not want that m serious advices be taken as jokes. I want to instill in them and him in particular, that it is important to be focused. It is important to know your priorities.

Apparently, My only wish for him is to see him grow as a better person. It isn't too late to bring back the old times. I'm not that old. I can still do skateboarding. I can still climb a guava tree and of course, I can still travel to Cebu (but this time, on an airplane!)

It's never too late especially that there is a concrete foundation of love and care. Time have changed but It can never change the fact, that I am an older sister.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend