menace

I’ve been in and out of discussion with my sister regarding parenting and each time, she’d think that I am not in the position to comment about it because I am not a parent.

While I agree that I am not a parent, I beg to disagree that I don’t have the right to say what’s on my mind about parenting. This is not to say that I am right and she’s wrong but I just want to voice out my opinion on what kids should learn these days and what not to. Regardless, it’s her discretion to listen or not.

On gadgets… we both think that gadgets disrupt a child’s creativity. Gadgets make them think that everything comes fast. Why, internet is so fast that videos in HD are streaming at full speed. Gone are those days when you wait for commercials in order to watch the 2nd, 3rd, 4th part of the whole episode. Gadgets buy time on a child’s attention but it also shortens their patience and sense of imagination.

On getting what they want… I do think that there is a time for everything. For me, no matter how we want to give everything to a child for their happiness, it isn’t right to spoil them. Travels for example, need not be in Disneyland but creating memories, spending time with them even in the most barren field in Samal will do. I’d love to think that parents are doing themselves a favour by not spoiling their children today because they will be teaching their children the value of gratitude and humility in the future.

On expressing their opinions… Kids are a lot smarter these days and I do get flustered in knowing that sometimes, they know more stuff than we do. But the smarter they become the more entitled they seem like. Someone told me, it’s cute when they correct adults about this and that, I do think that at some point, it really is, BUT… there’s a thin line between being all cute and disrespectful. Wouldn’t it be nice to listen to a child who is smart and humble at the same time? I do think, these two can go hand in hand pretty well.

If we tolerate children just because they’re cute and fascinating, they would think that they are right.
Later on, it will be too difficult to change. We seem to be missing the point that one day, we will die and we won’t live forever for the child. So rather than making it difficult for him later on, it is a must to teach him what he needs to learn at an early age.

My sister always tells me that my ideas are better said than done. Perhaps.
But I was raised by a tough mother whom I cannot control or manipulate. I was raised by both parents who not only gave me a mouthful of sermons every time I seem to forget my boundaries as a child but also a beltful, a sweepful, a rulerful of hittings for me to understand their point completely.


Sure parenting is hard, but a future menace to the society is harder to deal, don’t we think? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend