hitting the brakes

I decided to make a big purchase.

There was someone who wanted to see the car today, but the seller suggested that we could meet last night, and I agreed. I met with the seller and the first thing that he did was to open the hood. That thing was funny, when I saw it, I just thought it was dirty and lacking any colors.

He expected me to check the engine, and pull up the dipstick to check the oils, perhaps? But before now I had no idea what a dipstick was. So, all I did was look at it on the surface. Never touched anything. Then I did a test drive. The car’s dashboard was too wide. I had to slow down and gauge whether I can fit into double parked cars in our street. Then I told the seller that I can hear a noise, but he said, we should try it on the highway. He drove. I can’t hear anything.

The seller might have thought I know about cars because prior to the meeting, I asked him several questions. I just asked him the things I remember from reading on the internet like the VIN and Carfax. Then he said, I do not have the Carfax. I told him that was okay. I might have been willing to shed out $ for it if it was the only way to check if the car is working. Then hours later he said, “I just paid $70, here is the Carfax” However, I have no idea what to check in this document. But I am surprised at his responsiveness. He complied with all my demands without qualms about it. I could say I am a little bit impressed. 

While on the drive, we talked about his job. His Hollywood moment. He was in Planet of the Apes. Believe me, I am unbelievably ignorant about films and movies and if there was one question about it in “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” as a contestant, that might have been the reason for my failure. Anyway, I just pretended I knew what Planet of the Apes was all about although I have no idea. LOL.

After that, I was and am convinced that he is such an interesting persona. I could feel that he is a good person. When we got back to the parking, I was excited to make the purchase. I had no cash with me and the banks as well as the auto plan were closed. We decided to do everything today.

When I told my dad last night, he said, “Are you sure about it?”. Well, I won’t lie and say that the purchase itself never kicked some thrill. It did. “I’m sure” I replied with a smile. Then I went to bed. An hour or so later I couldn’t help but think, “Is this right?” “Am I making a sound decision?” “Really Labli, buying without a mechanic inspection? Pure Genius.” I couldn’t sleep because my gut was telling me that while I believe the guy, I might have to pay a handsome price for maintenance later. The car and the guy are two separate things.

You know, I always pride myself as someone who reads and research about stuff and somehow makes it on the practical exam. But with cars, I just don’t know anything about it. So today, after my conflicting thoughts, I messaged the seller and honestly told him that we may have to do a PPI. He agreed. While I do not like last-minute changes, I have been glad to hit the brakes before the grand acceleration. Until then.

Comments

---- wa man koy car------ but the thing that struck me most was "Labli" thats why you're full of love, kindly explain more where it all started... that Lovely name of yours.

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend