abroading

Crossing the borders.

To leave your family behind in search for a greener pasture, to pursue a job abroad so you can make a better future, to outwit life’s complexities from miles away to provide for a brighter path… so many reasons but it all boils down to LOVE.

The sacrifices we make and the struggles we dare fight back are never easy. Sometimes, I feel as though I live in a world where my only purpose is to endure every single obstacle, come out of it intact, whatever that demands of me. Then came my sceptic side, were you asked to do so? Were you obliged? Bleh!

Of course my answer would most likely fall under the stubborn, adventurous, ready-to-capture-the-world type of idea… It’s probably a NO to every question. I came out to live my life. To pursue a goal while I was young and capable. To chase a dream that I am entitled, or so I thought. The thrill was just too much to let it pass. I dared accept the challenge.

I recently learned that the husband of a good friend went to UAE to seek for a better job and support their budding family. Then my thought came rushing in, Long-distance husband and father, how hard would that ever be?

I am fortunate enough to have been guided by my dad ever since my kiddo days. His work is home-based and so, I have no idea how hard it is for kids to be left with their moms because the dad would strive abroad to send them to good schools, buy them their needs and perhaps, provide for wants every now and then. I have classmates whose both parents are even abroad and that they were left to their grannies, aunts or even yayas.

I admit I had thoughts of envy because most of them have this and that. Most of them have money to boot and perhaps, in my young mind, all I really wanted were what I see, what I hear and what I know. I know they live in a comfortable house and have baon to even make libre all the other classmates. They were popular kids with too many friends. Because they are rich. The upper epsilon.

Looking back, I would wonder why my mom seemed to be too frugal. I thought to be abroad will get you rich quickly. Even our neighbours get to have houses renovated instantly and cars purchased one morning of surprise.

Now that I am abroad, all my ideas were of huge misconceptions. Yes, you are paid much higher than the job you have in the Philippines but this is just in equilibrium to the cost of living in the host country Yes, you can save but savings won’t equate time with the family. Yes, you can buy things but true happiness does not radiate from material possessions.

It takes a lot of courage to leave someone behind but it takes even more courage to leave a group of people who means the world to you. To the hubby of my good friends, he left his two sons and his beautiful wife… I hope his sacrifices are worth it. There is never a day that goes by without his wife thinking of him… I hope the feeling is mutual.


Abroad… one word that is associated with the farthest of dreams, biggest of hopes and deepest of love. A sacrifice today is a joy of tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend