packages


While I know for sure that money cannot buy me love, it’s amazing to know how blessing comes in different packages.

Growing up, my eyes were opened to realities. My father is one hard-working man who seems to have the diskarte to fulfill the ends’ meet, why, it was him, who is solely our bread and butter while Mama stays at home full time to watch and guide us.

At home, we were trained to do chores (yun nga lang, I suck at it). My parents instilled in us the value of education more than anything else. I remembered one time… our neighbour asked my mom why she wants her kids to be enrolled in a private school when in the future, same lang daw lahat yan basta grumaduate. My mom would smile and say, I think my children deserve the best of what we can offer. And yes, I was so young then but when I heard that, I promised myself not to let my mother be down.

My dad is the breadwinner. My mom is the breadkeeper. She would do all the budgeting right after receiving the amount in full. I can vaguely remember, whenever I ask for extra allowance my mom would let me sit in so she can illustrate how my dad’s salary flows. Then she would ask me, “what is more important, school or extra activities?” then I’d sigh in resignation. I know where the discussion ends.

My parents were strict when it comes to house rules. One time, I told them that I would go attend a seminar for the Rovers Society. It was one rainy night. Right after the seminar, my friends and I have decided to go to the mall to wait for the rain to stop before we go home. Sadly, my mom and dad went to the venue of the seminar and found me nowhere, when I came home, I was greeted by my ate and she told me the parents were furious because I was not home as promised. When mom and dad got home, I got a major award!

Love can wait, they said. It was okay for me since I know I have a goal to achieve and a boyfriend can never understand why I act the way I do. I felt like I can’t afford to just choose someone just because I wanted to have one.

Looking back, I can say that my parents just wanted us to be what we want to be in the future. Perhaps, someone who came from the ordinary to someone who goes after their dreams no matter what. My mom would tell me, “since you are still under our wings, do as what we say, it’s for your own good. Once you graduate, you can do whatever you please.” And true to her words, when I graduated, I was able to go after what I want.

I am proud that I have very supportive parents who scolded and punished me for my wrong doings, who guided me to choose options wisely and who keeps on reminding me to stay grounded.

Sure we don’t have earthly possessions to boot or a huge house to show off. In fact, we have one residential home built inside a village which is narrow and chaotic. But we keep it to ourselves that we ain’t spending more than we can afford. And because of that, I have learned to value any single thing made or given to me.


I am blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friendship is spelled with END

how to get a band score 6 and up without a review center

Thanksgiving weekend